Universal Mill | KEK
A Universal Mill provides high performing one-pass fine grinding. This type of Kemutec Mill is ideal for when a controlled reduction in particle size is needed, coupled with a high degree of fineness.
Universal Milling Machines are commonly used in the fine-food processing industries, such as those who grind spices, salt and flour. Due to its performance, it is also a popular choice of Mill for those working in the powder sectors, including chemicals and pharmaceuticals.
- Fine grinding capabilities, through unrivalled milling performance
- Interchangeable grinding media, for precision processing
- Minimal moisture absorption, enabling material integrity
- Optional temperature control and cryogenic grinding
- Simple to clean and maintain
- Easy to integrate
- Models to suit a variety of materials
To allow for maximum process performance and minimal downtime, the KEK Universal Mill is available with a variety of interchangeable grinding media, such as turbine and screen grinding components, as well as pinned disc grinding media.
Specially designed to provide capabilities of unsurpassed performance and controlled fine-milled particle size, this type of Mill processes material to a D50 of 100μ to 20μ.
Another design advantage is that it allows for flexible system integration. As an effect, fitting the mill is easy in both new production lines or existing, while the integration of a hinged and interlocking door enables easy access for simple maintenance and inspection.
To ensure minimal moisture absorption and to maintain material integrity, the Universal features a specialised closed-loop ‘airless’ design.
For heat-sensitive product, optional temperature control and full cryogenic grinding capabilities are available. This also helps grind materials that are difficult to process at ambient temperatures, by first cooling the material to a rate in which it can then be successfully ground.
Features and Benefits
- Interchangeable grinding media for maximum process performance and minimal downtime
- High performance, for superior fine grinding
- Milled particle size range down to a D50 – 100μ to 20μ
- Can be custom integrated into an existing system, for maximum design flexibility
- Closed-loop “airless” milling, for minimal moisture absorption
- Temperature controlled and cryogenic grinding available
- Large range available from lab all the way through to production
- 3 hp to 125 hp
- Interchangeable grinding media options include turbine and screen, pinned disc, and rib track
KEK Universal Mills effectively grind material ranging from soft to medium, to hard and non-abrasive powders and granules.
Typical Applications Include:
- 6X and 10X Grade powdered sugar
- Microfine salt
- Rice flour
- Wheat flour
- Casein and whey powder
Pet Food Industry
- Size reduction of ingredients prior to mixing and extrusion. Especially important for the small fish food applications. For a finer grind however, we would recommend the PPS Air Classifier Mill
- Fine powder grinding
- Fine powder de-agglomeration
- Dry granulation
- Sodium bicarbonate
- General fine powder grinding
Temperature Controlled Grinding
Temperature controlled milling involves the use of liquid nitrogen as a cooling agent. This is applied to the mill and collection system. This milling system is often adopted to improve processing properties of heat sensitive materials or, give a specified product output from the mill, where it is essential to eliminate temperature pick up during normal milling. Example being control of mill temperature from ambient mill temperatures to -5°C.
Cryogenic grinding systems also involve the addition of nitrogen, but the temperatures are much lower. Cooling is applied to the mill system and the feed product. The aim is to embrittle products that are impossible to impact mill, at ambient temperatures. By cooling them to temperatures of -150° C, it is possible to grind ‘problem’ materials very finely.
Cool and cryogenic grinding also provides the added benefit of inert explosion protection.